Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Waking Up

Hello again,

As usual, I've decided to create something new. This time, we're going for a bit more professional. Since professional is not one of the things I do best, this should be an adventure.

My name is Amanda McGee, and I am a writer.

Many writers keep blogs (I suppose it kind of goes with the territory) and not just blogs about their lives. After all, who really wants to read about the dramas of someone who is relatively nameless in the industry, and what person well-known in the writing business really wants their fans to know every little aspect of their lives?

In order to educate myself on what writers really blog about - I am rather new to this experience, unpublished kid that I am - I set about on a grand search for the blogs of those participating in the publishing industry. Of course, I was also motivated by more practical purposes, such as my intense desire to publish my young adult fantasy novel, currently titled The Last Disciple. That plug would be far more shameless if I was indeed published and you could buy that. Hopefully someday it will be available for purchase.

In any case, on this epic quest I discovered that writers blog about one of three things:

1) How to get published.
Unfortunately, I have relatively little experience in this subject, but I will be able to give some pretty awesome recommendations as I continue my research. Obviously, this is something that I spend a lot of time thinking about. Maybe someone will read this and benefit accordingly.

2) The writing process.
Basically, this refers to everything from conferences and workshops to updates on current projects. Pretty self-explanatory, in all honesty.

3) Books.
A good writer is a good reader. Blogging about books and their respective authors/styles lets the writer explore what works for them and what doesn't, and is entertaining for the reader as well.

So, to kick off my inaugural step into the new world of attempted professionalism, I provide the following WRITING UPDATE.

This week's writing update has to do with the World Fantasy Convention. This most illustrious of gatherings was held this past weekend in Columbus, OH. Basically, it was fantastic. I definitely suggest going if you get a chance and are serious about writing, as it's a great place to meet like-minded people as well as publishers. It was, however, a little low on agents, so if that is your goal for attending your next convention/conference/workshop you may desire to look elsewhere.

Since this was my first conference, I was pleasantly surprised by how friendly everyone was, and by the dedication of those I met to their craft. Obviously, the conference is geared primarily towards fantasy writers, but there is also some science fiction and horror emphasis. Essentially, if you want to make friends in the business, this is the place to go. There are also great chances to meet established writers and publishers, including but not limited to Dennis McKiernan, L. E. Modesitt and Tom Doherty in this particular meeting of the convention. Next year, you might even get to meet Neil Gaiman. If you happen to be able to make in to San Diego, of course.

Anyways, it was highly educational. Most useful piece of information gleaned this weekend?

Hang out in the bar.

More explanation of that cryptic piece of advice to follow in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment