Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Happy (very belated) New Year!

I haven't posted on here in ages, I'm fairly certain. My how the time flies and all that.

So let's see...updates. I finished my rough draft of "Mother of Creation" and am now reluctantly dragging myself into the editing process. Numerous ideas kicking around in my head for book two, so I suppose I'm a little divided about whether to edit or not, but I don't feel that I can continue to advance without streamlining the setting/characters. As my brother (the only person who's read it so far) so aptly pointed out, I've at times run a little vague in my world creation. I suspect that's true of a lot of my work, so my goal for this round is to make if feel a bit more real, and to make the characters a little more distinct. Clarifying, as it were, more than a real rewrite.

Also, since it's New Year's, I've made some goals for this year. These include:

1) A mostly final draft of "Mother of Creation"
2) At least part of the rough for the next one (tenatively titled "Daughter of Chaos" or something to that effect)
3) Being generally more into cleanliness and taking care of myself. I'm proud to report that I've made significant advances in this regard. I've even eaten dinner every night since the first! Cleanliness of course refers to my apartment/desk. I already shower all the time, so that's not the issue.
4) Chopping off all of my hair. Also done.
5) Figuring out how to get out of Roanoke. It's lovely but the dating pool is limited. My goals include: Madrid, Japan, London....you get the idea.
6) Learning at least a modicum of German.
and last but not least, 7) Creating a new mini-goal of awesome every month. Some current ideas include, but are not limited to: planning vacations, registering for the GREs, taking the GREs, determining what graduate school I would like to one day apply to, having a plant that lives, etc.

In short, 2011 promises to be an exciting, excruciating, mind-bogglingly awesome year.

1 comment:

  1. Madris, Japan and London... Excellent choices! I personally have London and Scotland on my list - at least as destinations for my summer writing retreats.

    ReplyDelete